02 November 2010

Election Day, 2010

I did my civic duty today and headed over to my local polling place only a half hour after it had opened. There was quite a significant line for 7:30 in the morning, although nothing like the lines I encountered two years ago during the presidential election. Still, it was enough to make me slightly late for work, proudly wearing my red "I Voted" sticker.

The other problem with 7:30am, aside from the before work crowd, was that it was too dark to get any decent photographs. I went back this afternoon and remedied that problem:


My actual polling place. It acts as community rec center/warming house the other non-voting days of the year.

There's a nice little park right next to the building. I don't think that pool is going to be getting much use for quite some time to come.

All-in-all, I was entirely satisfied with my voting experience. Too many judges though. Now I just have to sit back and wait for the results of our usual 3-way governor's race. And hope like crazy that the people of the 6th district regained their sanity and voted Michele Bachmann out of office.

3 comments:

Vera said...

This is one of the things I like about the US: people take voting so much more seriously than we do.

Here, elections would never be held during weekdays. There's a very large probability that only 2-3 people would come. And voters in the morning? People going before work? That's like sci-fi to me. I think only the elderly go to vote here before noon, mostly because they always tend to do things before noon.

Senior Cyclist said...

I had trouble keeping the judges straight, myself. I was proud of myself for only voting for one low level office candidate on the basis of having seen his sign in a yard. (Bad citizenship.)

Emily said...

Santini - Yeah, I left most of the judge options blank, particularly as most of them didn't have opponents. It seems silly to vote for someone that has no opponent.