The Ford Plant

Intentionally or no, Monsieur Gzmoohoo has been creating something of a series on his blog about the now-defunct Ford manufacturing plant in St. Paul.

March 29, 2007
March 28, 2008
May 15, 2010
November 30, 2011
March 14, 2012
September 27, 2012
June 19, 2013
September 29, 2013

See? I am sure it has something to do with the fact that it is along one of his oft-travelled bike routes. In any case, as I was driving to the gym in Highland Park today, my route took me across the Ford Pkwy bridge as it always does. From the bridge, I could clearly see the Ford Plant site... I may have quietly cursed to myself when I realized what I was looking at. Once I was safely over the bridge into St. Paul, I pulled over to take advantage of the photo (and blogging) opportunity:

IMAG2091
My first shot, over the black fence meant to discourage onlookers, I'm sure.

IMAG2095
My second shot, from a bit further down Ford Parkway through a small gap in the black fence. 

Demolition clearly continues apace. It's like some sort of post-apocalyptic disaster zone. Plus a bulldozer.

IMAG2099
This is the view from the top of the parking ramp at the gym. Holy cow.

I am excited to see what eventually goes in that space - maybe it'll be some sort of apartment building with an automotive decorating theme. But it is also a bit sad to see the destruction of a neighborhood icon. I mean - it's FORD Parkway that I was driving on.

And now, a photo of Calvin playing with/growling at two toys at once. That blue one in his mouth is his favorite. We have to keep buying the two packs because he destroys them so quickly:

IMAG1898
If anyone is looking for a Christmas present for Calvin, a stockpile of those mice toys would be the greatest gift EVER. These ones might also be nice. :-)

Comments

Mom said…
Holy schmoly. Rubble, indeed. I shall have to drive by soon.
Those cat toys are really silly.
Emily M said…
Of course they're silly - they are toys for cats!
Santini said…
That's a lot of blogging about the Ford plant. Even more iconic (from a blogging perspective) than the PSPS. And there's no PSPS Parkway.