Tour of the Pacific Northwest: Portland

Yes, I know it's December and blogging is no longer required. But what can I say - Jimi and my family have inspired me. Plus I realized that I never finished my travelogue of our Pacific Northwest trip. Huge oversight. The story continues...

As with the Vancouver-Seattle train ride, the Seattle-Portland trip took place in the evening. We pulled into Portland around 8pm or so and took the light rail and then the tram (yes, two kinds of rail based public transportation. Andy was in train-nerd heaven) to get to our riverfront hotel. In addition to lots (and lots) of public transportation that is super efficient, Portland also has a thriving biking culture (2nd only to Minneapolis, I hear) and lots of excellent beer. It's like it was tailor made for Andy and I. And now, some photo highlights. Warning - my Portland photos are somewhat uninspiring:

Amtrak
Our Amtrak train.

IMG_0309
Beer at what ended up being our favorite beer place.


IMG_0308
Warning: Don't ride your bicycle on the tram and/or light rail tracks.


IMG_0259
The "Portlandia" building.


IMG_0324
My best shot (of many) of the riverfront 4th of July fireworks.

We had a great time - I am so glad we finally got around to taking this trip. The cats missed us, of course, and thank you to our loyal cat watchers, who were a well oiled team - Mom, Brad, and Lois. We couldn't have left our dear cats in better hands.

Comments

Mom said…
I think the photos are pretty interesting (except maybe the first one but you had to have a public transportation pic).
How fun to have some December blog activity!
Jimi said…
I noticed a dearth of cat photos. Or is that just a November thing?

It looks like you had a great trip.
Santini said…
Train tracks and bicycle tires are always a risky combination. Especially the skinny tires -- that graphic is fairly accurate as to what can happen.

Yay for unfinished business.