Veggies Are My Friend

The title of today's post brought to you by Santini.

I have been trying to make a concerted effort lately to incorporate more fruits and vegetables into my diet. I love bread, and meats, but there's such a thing as too much of it, or so I'm told. Tonight's dinner was an A+ effort:

Acorn Squash roasted with Herbs de Provence; Kale sauteed with onions and garlic.

Ok, so there's still bread. But that's a plate full of superfood my friends.
We've discovered these par-baked baguettes in the frozen section of our local grocery. They're from the New French Bakery and you just have to pop them in the oven at 375 for 8-10 minutes and you've got a piping hot, fresh baguette on your hands. It's not Paris, but I'll take it. Sure beats trying to learn how to make them from scratch! Although I do love my stand mixer... Probably not that much.

I am trying not to let the early-winter blues get me down, but it still just so dreary outside. And then I saw this at work today:

Yes, that is the same pond as my post from two days ago. And yes, it is completely frozen.
On my way back from the cafeteria today, I passed the CEO going the other way as we were walking past the pond. I've met him a few times at various functions (including my New Employee CEO Breakfast), so I always say hello to him in the halls. Anyway, he made a joke that it was just about time to start ice fishing out there. Indeed.

I think the solution is to curl up on the couch with a cat and a good book. I'm rereading the Virgil Flowers books and I have just started the second one.

Thank you, John, I will.
The cats will be joining me shortly, I'm sure:

They do love the couch.

Comments

Santini said…
Pioneer Woman Cooks recently posted a recipe for butternut squash and kale. Yours looks even better! (I remember that series on the food blog. I'd just discovered the great flavor of roasted veggies.)
Mom said…
Super tasty looking veggies and a frozen pond. Change is afoot . . .
Jimi said…
I'd hold off a while on that ice fishing on that pond. I think there may be another ice free day or two before January. I sure hope so.